Slow Cooker Peanut Stew
Alright everyone, here comes my first of hopefully many blog posts, and it’s a recipe of course. You may read the title and think to yourself, “peanut stew? That sounds weird.” I know. It totally does, but I promise you, it’s delicious. This soup is inspired by west African peanut stew and, in my opinion, is perfect for the fall weather we’re finally experiencing here in East Tennessee, and the best part is that you can throw it all together in a crockpot and forget about it until it’s time to eat. Here goes!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total cook time: 4.5 hours
- 1 sweet potato, cubed
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3-4 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1-2 jalapeño(s), diced
- 1 bunch kale, chopped well
- 1 cup natural peanut butter (I recommend fresh ground PB that only has peanuts as the ingredients)
- 3/4 cup raw peanuts
- 1 tablespoon chili paste such as sriracha (optional)
- cilantro and extra peanuts for topping (optional)
- salt to taste
- After chopping, dicing, cubing, and mincing all of your veggies, put them all in your crockpot along with the remaining ingredients.
- Add water to cover and a pinch of salt, to taste.
- Turn the crockpot on high for 4 hours.
- After about 30 minutes, give it a good stir to mix the peanut butter in well.
- Enjoy your next 3 1/2 hours knowing that tasty soup is heading your way!
I hope you all enjoy this recipe! I would love to know what you think if you make it and any adjustments you make!